Journal First Track
Starting this year, ICPE invites several journals to incorporate journal-first papers into the ICPE program. Through this initiative, authors of journal-first papers accepted in the partnering journals will be invited to present their work at ICPE, allowing the authors to engage directly with the community and offering the ICPE attendees an additional dimension to the research track program.
The journals that support the journal-first model as partners with ICPE are:
- Empirical Software Engineering (EMSE).
- Journal of Systems and Software (JSS)
- Journal of Software: Evolution and Process (JSEP)
- Science of Computer Programming (SCP)
- Automated Software Engineering Journal (ASEJ)
- Performance Evaluation (PEVA)
- Journal of Systems Research (JSys)
A submission to the ICPE 2024 call for journal-first paper presentations must adhere to the following criteria:
- The associated journal paper needs to have been accepted to a journal from the above list no earlier than January 1st, 2022.
- The paper is in the scope of the conference.
- The paper does not exclusively report a secondary study, e.g., systematic reviews, mapping studies, surveys.
- Report on new research results that are not an extension of a previous conference publication. That is, journal versions extending prior conference publications with additional empirical results, proofs, algorithms, or other such details are out of scope of this track.
- The paper has not been presented at, and is not under consideration for, journal-first programs of other conferences.
How to Submit
Authors of manuscripts that fulfill the above criteria are invited to submit a presentation proposal via EasyChair.
The proposal should consist of:
- the paper title;
- names of all authors;
- an extended abstract (1 page) by using the standard ACM format for conference proceedings.
- a short statement on how the work satisfies the journal-first criteria;
- a pointer to the original journal paper.
Please list all authors of the original journal paper as authors of your submission in EasyChair.
Submission site: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=icpe2024
Evaluation and Selection
Authors will be invited to present their paper at ICPE 2024 after a check by the co-chairs that the paper satisfies the above listed criteria. As the manuscripts have been already reviewed and accepted by the journals, they will not be reviewed again for technical correctness but rather be checked for the journal-first criteria.
- Journal First Submissions Deadline: 29 Jan 2024
- Journal First Acceptance Notification: 14 Feb, 2024
- Submissions close at 23:59 AoE (Anywhere on Earth, UTC-12)
Conference Attendance Expectation
If a submission is accepted for the journal-first program, at least one author of each accepted journal-first submission must register and attend the conference to present the paper. The presentation is expected to be delivered in person, unless this is impossible due to travel limitations (related to, e.g., health, visa, or COVID-19 prevention). The journal-first manuscripts are published through the journals and will not be part of the ICPE proceedings. The journal-first papers will be listed in the conference program.
- Cristina Abad, Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral, ESPOL, Ecuador
- Weiyi Shang, University of Waterloo, Canada